Ask E. Jean - Tormented? Driven Witless? Whipsawed by confusion?

Advice Vixens

What did you cook this week, Vixens?

For lunch, I improvised a mix of avocado, tomatoes, olives, cheese and some garlic, baked in the oven a bit. And for dinner, I combined zucchinis, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes "passata", garlic and a small salad, all topped with Parmesan. Nothing too complicated but I am proud of myself. Also had baby bananas and some walnuts for desert. And a glass of Prosecco, of course. You?

  • Cast your vote
    for Best Advice
  • give Gerbera advice
    send this question to a friend


    That all sounds so delicious!

    I'm cooking for two young men as well as myself, or I would be eating nothing but fresh vegetables and occasionally fish.

    What did I cook this week? Let's see.

    Monday was pan-seared chicken breasts with lemon and thyme, homemade cornbread stuffing and mashed potatoes.

    Tuesday was quick fakey beef stroganoff with elbow noodles.

    Wednesday was chicken tacos and homemade Mexican rice.

    Thursday was old-school cheeseburgers and fries.

    Friday is my free day. I'm having lunch with Arpy and my D-Backs are playing those stinkymean Dodgers so it's leftovers for the middle kid, frozen pizza for the youngest and a sort of mixed olive and feta cheese tapenade for me on toasted olive bread with sliced pears and ice cold chardonnay.

    There was a marked lack of vegetables this week, but I have a huge mixed-fruit smoothie for breakfast every day, so I don't feel too bad about it. I'll hit the grocery store on Friday after lunch and make up for it next week.

    reply to Robynne
    send this answer to a friend



    Oh you ladies are making me hungry, everything sounds good!

    Breakfasts are pea protein/fruit/veggie smoothies on the way to work and greek yogurt or cottage cheese once I get there.

    Lunches this week were couscous, cannelli beans, kale, a primavera blend of chopped veggies (I think carrots, asparagus, red peppers, and peas) and chicken cooked in coconut oil, turmeric, black pepper, and garlic.

    Dinners were tilapia over streamed bok choy and shiitake mushrooms, and then spaghetti squash with chicken, portobellas, onions and pear tomatoes from our garden, and green peppers...lots of seasonings, fresh tomato juice and olive oil for sauce. Leftovers of that for lunch today...and possibly splurging and picking up some delicious thai food for dinner.

    Dark chocolate squares or ice cream for desserts, and snacks are usually fruit, veggies and hummus, protein bars, nuts, and this week I had a bag of coconut lemongrass roasted chickpeas that were tasty!

    reply to Kay
    send this answer to a friend





    Everything sounds so delicious. Am making note of the good food combos.

    reply to Barbara
    send this answer to a friend



    Robynne wrote: That all sounds so delicious! I'm cooking for two young men as well as myself, or I would be eating nothing but fresh vegetables and occasionally fish. What did I cook this week? Let's see. Monday was pan-seared chicken breasts with lemon and thyme, homemade cornbread stuffing and mashed potatoes. Tuesday was quick fakey beef stroganoff with elbow noodles. Wednesday was chicken tacos and homemade Mexican rice. Thursday was old-school cheeseburgers and fries. Friday is my free day. I'm having lunch with Arpy and my D-Backs are playing those stinkymean Dodgers so it's leftovers for the middle kid, frozen pizza for the youngest and a sort of mixed olive and feta cheese tapenade for me on toasted olive bread with sliced pears and ice cold chardonnay. There was a marked lack of vegetables this week, but I have a huge mixed-fruit smoothie for breakfast every day, so I don't feel too bad about it. I'll hit the grocery store on Friday after lunch and make up for it next week.

    God, your menu is plain food porn! You've got the classic chicken, the Mexican dish, the burgers and fries. I intend to be your guest soon! ;)

    reply to Gerbera
    send this answer to a friend



    Kay wrote: Oh you ladies are making me hungry, everything sounds good! Breakfasts are pea protein/fruit/veggie smoothies on the way to work and greek yogurt or cottage cheese once I get there. Lunches this week were couscous, cannelli beans, kale, a primavera blend of chopped veggies (I think carrots, asparagus, red peppers, and peas) and chicken cooked in coconut oil, turmeric, black pepper, and garlic. Dinners were tilapia over streamed bok choy and shiitake mushrooms, and then spaghetti squash with chicken, portobellas, onions and pear tomatoes from our garden, and green peppers...lots of seasonings, fresh tomato juice and olive oil for sauce. Leftovers of that for lunch today...and possibly splurging and picking up some delicious thai food for dinner. Dark chocolate squares or ice cream for desserts, and snacks are usually fruit, veggies and hummus, protein bars, nuts, and this week I had a bag of coconut lemongrass roasted chickpeas that were tasty!

    You, Kay, are a real inspiration as to eating right should be.
    How do you handle the sugar cravings? I would kill for some Pepsi right now! I had whole grain pasta with tomato sauce and shrimps. Delicious!

    reply to Gerbera
    send this answer to a friend



    Miss Beth wrote: ohmygosh, YUMMY. I'm moving in.

    I know, I'm starting to regret opening this thread :(.

    reply to Gerbera
    send this answer to a friend



    Barbara wrote: Everything sounds so delicious. Am making note of the good food combos.

    Yes, let's all steal their ideas!

    reply to Gerbera
    send this answer to a friend



    Gerbera wrote: You, Kay, are a real inspiration as to eating right should be. How do you handle the sugar cravings? I would kill for some Pepsi right now! I had whole grain pasta with tomato sauce and shrimps. Delicious!

    Thank you for the compliment! I am not always so good, but the majority of the time if I do well then I don't feel bad if i want some candy or regular snacks. I do try to get organic or real fruit juice gummy bears or make my rice krispie treats with different whole grain puff cereals from the healthfood store and earthbalance spread or coconut oil instead of regular butter, but sometimes you are at the movie theater and good old fashioned candies are the perfect treat! I still get ice cream and desserts out on occasion, but again when you do it sparingly it's totally fine.

    I had a hard time getting away from diet soda and chewing gum at first. I found that artificial sweeteners always made me bloated and uncomfortable from the sugar alcohol, but I craved them! Then when I chewed gum with regular sugar in it my teeth started to hurt so I made the decision to cut those things for my health. I weaned myself from the soda by committing to water, almond milk, and green or herbal tea for two weeks. I reincorporated coffee, alcohol (mostly wine), and juice after that but the soda cravings dissipated.

    For the majority of sweets I really try to get foods with natural sugar sources in them (avoiding table sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, cane syrup, rice syrup, etc.), so fruits and things sweetened with honey, pure maple syrup, or dates. Larabars are a really nice sweet snack (ranging from 190-220 calories per bar), 20+ grams of sugar but from fruits, dates, and honey. They come in a ton of flavors (various pies, cookies, cakes, chocolate and coffee) and contain nuts in addition to the fruits and dates. 70% or higher dark chocolate is a nice rich treat without added sugar that I enjoy as well. Also in a pinch, a spoonful of honey goes down nicely.

    I am of the belief that different people's bodies process macro nutrients differently, but for me personally I have noticed that I don't crave sweets as much now that I consume more healthy fats...nuts and nut butters, avocados (I noticed you listed them above!), fish, olive oil, flax seed oil, and coconut oil are the main ones I use. I think because most sweets are a source of fat, its highly possible I craved them so much because I tended to avoid fats in other forms (due to the common misconception in America that fat is bad, period), and now I don't crave them as much. I've noticed my cravings for high carb comfort foods has lessened as well. Also the whole grain pasta you mentioned is a good way to balance your body's sugar cravings as well!

    reply to Kay
    send this answer to a friend



    Gerbera wrote: God, your menu is plain food porn! You've got the classic chicken, the Mexican dish, the burgers and fries. I intend to be your guest soon! ;)

    That's because of my sons. When Kal's here, the menu is far more exotic.

    reply to Robynne
    send this answer to a friend



    Tonight's poker night so I made spaghetti with creamy butternut squash sauce and some pesto garlic bread. But I used whole wheat spaghetti, so that's got to count for something.

    reply to Jill
    send this answer to a friend



    Kay wrote: Thank you for the compliment! I am not always so good, but the majority of the time if I do well then I don't feel bad if i want some candy or regular snacks. I do try to get organic or real fruit juice gummy bears or make my rice krispie treats with different whole grain puff cereals from the healthfood store and earthbalance spread or coconut oil instead of regular butter, but sometimes you are at the movie theater and good old fashioned candies are the perfect treat! I still get ice cream and desserts out on occasion, but again when you do it sparingly it's totally fine. I had a hard time getting away from diet soda and chewing gum at first. I found that artificial sweeteners always made me bloated and uncomfortable from the sugar alcohol, but I craved them! Then when I chewed gum with regular sugar in it my teeth started to hurt so I made the decision to cut those things for my health. I weaned myself from the soda by committing to water, almond milk, and green or herbal tea for two weeks. I reincorporated coffee, alcohol (mostly wine), and juice after that but the soda cravings dissipated. For the majority of sweets I really try to get foods with natural sugar sources in them (avoiding table sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, cane syrup, rice syrup, etc.), so fruits and things sweetened with honey, pure maple syrup, or dates. Larabars are a really nice sweet snack (ranging from 190-220 calories per bar), 20+ grams of sugar but from fruits, dates, and honey. They come in a ton of flavors (various pies, cookies, cakes, chocolate and coffee) and contain nuts in addition to the fruits and dates. 70% or higher dark chocolate is a nice rich treat without added sugar that I enjoy as well. Also in a pinch, a spoonful of honey goes down nicely. I am of the belief that different people's bodies process macro nutrients differently, but for me personally I have noticed that I don't crave sweets as much now that I consume more healthy fats...nuts and nut butters, avocados (I noticed you listed them above!), fish, olive oil, flax seed oil, and coconut oil are the main ones I use. I think because most sweets are a source of fat, its highly possible I craved them so much because I tended to avoid fats in other forms (due to the common misconception in America that fat is bad, period), and now I don't crave them as much. I've noticed my cravings for high carb comfort foods has lessened as well. Also the whole grain pasta you mentioned is a good way to balance your body's sugar cravings as well!

    Thanks for the tips! I haven't been off sugar and sodas for that long but I don't crave them a lot. For me key is not to indulge because then I overindulge, it starts with one frozen pizza and disaster follows. I've been reading a bunch of articles from redbookmag about eating healthy and I am making a list of foods to eat on a weekly basis. I have always avoided artificial sweeteners and everything that is a syrup something, except for the maple one, they seemed evil from the beginning. Quinoa and bulghur made me bloated. I cannot seem to find kale in the supermarket and I'd love to Robynne's kale chips recipe.

    reply to Gerbera
    send this answer to a friend



    Robynne wrote: That's because of my sons. When Kal's here, the menu is far more exotic.

    Then I know when to schedule my visit;)

    reply to Gerbera
    send this answer to a friend



    Jill wrote: Tonight's poker night so I made spaghetti with creamy butternut squash sauce and some pesto garlic bread. But I used whole wheat spaghetti, so that's got to count for something.

    Whole wheat pasta does count for something! Garlic bread, we eat a lot of garlic in my country, so I want to eat everyday because I feel great the next day and I love how it fights inflammation. And vampires ;)

    reply to Gerbera
    send this answer to a friend


    Give advice or add a comment: